Wednesday 5 January 2022

 Despite all the air time given to the plight of the Wye the Welsh government and NRW seem stragley quiet.  They surely can't be thinking it will all blow over.   Perhaps they will surprise us with a cunning plan shortly though I'm not holding my breath

==================================================================

This incident took place on the Elan Valley reservoirs which I have fished on and off for 60 odd years.   It seems unbelievable but I assure you it’s true as will be  everything I put on here.

                                         ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE

More years ago than I care to remember I went to fish the Elan valley reservoirs.  I enjoyed it there. The peace and quiet, the surroundings and the proper wild brown trout fishing.   Anyway I arrived and tackled up not far from the bridge over the first dam next to the small church.   10’ rod, three fly cast on a floating line, short casting over the deep margins with a step between each cast.  

Eventually I had a take and on playing the fish realised I had two fish on at once- landed both, wild brownies usual stamp 1’2  to 3’4lb. Result.   Carried on fishing for hundred yards or so, not another touch so I moved location to the other side of the bridge.  Fished for a while –another take and again to my surprise another two fish on at once –landed ok. Fished on again for a long time but nothing else, so I moved location again this time towards the sawmills.   Same tactic, same flies and again, and I know this is stretching things, once again had two on at once.  The catch limit then was I think 8 fish so I guess you know what’s coming next.  I moved a couple of hundred yards and once again had two on at once and both landed.   Not a take or touch  in between the four double takes all day.

I am unsure just what the odds on that happening might be but suspect they are astronomical.  I certainly never came near it again and doubt somehow if anyone ever will.   But it happened that’s for sure, though I suspect some may not believe it.  Can't say I blame you but it's true.

I did once hook three on the same cast once but these were smallish rainbows which the Elan valley tried to introduce for a couple of years –unsuccessfully as it turned out.  The rainbows just lost condition after they were stocked and disappeared and the practice was discontinued.

Fond memories of those lakes and regret I never got round to visiting them last year.  Hope to remedy that in the comig season.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.