Saturday 26 March 2016

Weather looks set to go downhill over the weekend but river conditions will be good for today and probably tomorrow in most areas.  Upper river will welcome some water as there is very little in the way of salmon up her at the moment and only a scattering downriver. though they are excellent fish in the main.   More water may help everyone perhaps.
Lets hope for some fish later today.


River rising in the upper catchment at the moment -still raining.  Difficult to say how much further it will go at present.


Fish today at Ingeston to Peter Dent on a F/C  15lbs and one yesterday 12lbs for Andre Sobscak on a Stoats tail.

 There are two well known Wye anglers named Peter Dent which can cause confusion.  Peter Dent from Monmouth is a dedicated fly only angler and he was not the captor of this fish from Ingeston. Will try and be more explicit in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Strange this internet business.  I make a casual remark on here that I remember in the past  a 1,000 fish caught on the Wye before the end of March. Cue Internet frenzy
Mr Smith doubts it – so I produce the figure from the yearly  EA report of the year that did exactly that. 1973
His deputy Simon then doubts that there would be another year like that.
Two other kind anglers produce from Annual reports they have, of SIX others years when this was done. Rather than say well yes you were right,  several others jump on the bandwagon and try and argue. One Dai, suggesting I said a thousand fish in March alone(Though that indeed was done), and another, the Rigsby guy suggesting –well who knows,  if indeed he does himself,  and yet another questioning the difference in methods used back then.  .
They seem unable to admit that on even such a simple indisputable fact that I just may have been right.

Perhaps I should remind them of the old saying;  (Well I just made it up actually)

I listen yet I hear nothing,       I open my eyes yet see nothing.
I speak but my words mean nothing     I touch yet feel nothing

I sniff but smell only a rat.    I think sometimes I must  be NOTHING.


Wye rod catch till the END OF MARCH.
1950--------1,049 
1952--------1,139
1966--------1,366
1967--------2,634
1968--------1,051
1972--------1,406
1973--------2,032

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.