Monday 16 March 2015

Surprisingly no fish caught today so far -at least non reported yet.  River in good trim but still a little high for downstream beats.   Tomorrow perhaps.

Sad to hear of the death of Mike Lunn, ex river keeper of the Houghton waters on the Test.  I knew him reasonably well having fished there regularly with my old boss. I was privileged to visit the sanctum which is the clubroom in the Stockbridge hotel with all its history on display.

Apart from the fish we caught,at mayfly time, the first three I netted for my boss were 9lbs 8oz -8lb-7ozs and 7lb 6 ozs  three memories stand out for me.

The 12lb salmon hooked and landed on a dry mayfly -eaten in the clubroom that night.

The crusty old general who came down the stairs from the clubroom while I was waiting in the foyer. He  beckoned me over and in a low voice said, "Laddie -could you give me a hand." Of course I said how can I help.  "Do my flies up for me will you my hands can't handle the zip."  Quite what anyone passing by would have thought at that moment  I have no idea.  No idea either how he tied his trout flies on.

The third occasion was a meeting with my boss John Robinson, his guest Sir Dennis Mountain then boss of eagle star Ins. Company and Mike himself.   We set off in the morning to fish different beats and met up at lunchtime.  Not much of a rise and we only had two fish on dry fly.  Mike and Sir Dennis had eight.   Strewth Mike I said,  what did you get those on. " Greenwell nymph " he replied. Lets have a look at it I replied.  Without a hint of a change of expression he handed me the fly.
Green it was alright but tied on a size 10 or even an eight longshank and leaded.  Mike always wanted his guest to catch fish and he was no purist that's for sure..


My old friend SMS came on some of the trips too and we sometimes fished for grayling as well as the trout.  I found this old picture.  I do hope he doesn't mind.  They were classed as vermin back then of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.