Tuesday 18 January 2022

   Wye Salmon association Casting Clinic. 

https://www.wyesalmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Casting-Clinic-February-2022.pdf


                          SEA TROUT ?

Never really done a lot of sea trout fishing but did go to Abercothi on the Towy now and again and had a few fish from there.

However I got to know the well known sea trout angler Malcolm Edwards, who was well known to pretty much everyone if the Rheidol valley.   I ended up tying his seat trout flies and he was a great fan of smallish Waddingtons.

On this particular occasion he invited me to fish the Rheidol one evening below the bottom dam.  This was one of his favourite spots especially the tail of the pool whose name I cannot recall and where his memorial stone is now erected.

We wanted till the June night was almost dark before starting and as was his way he let me fish the pool down first.  Sure enough right in the tail at about midnight I had a really good solid take and a great scrap from what we thought was a big sea trout.  Anyway he netted it for me, bonked it on the head and carried on fishing and not using our torches too much.  It looked about 8lbs or so.

The twist in the tail however was at first light when we had a good look at the fish and were amazed to see it was in fact a salmon.   He was surprised as I was and he reckoned he had never caught one  in the dead of night all the years he had fished there.  Another golden b++++cks moment.

He became ill well before his time and the last time I saw him was in Aberystwyth Hospital.  He was a good friend and companion and he fished the Wye with me once or twice too,   His memorial is a fitting tribute to a dedicated angler.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.