Sunday 23 January 2022

 River pretty low now and not helping the pike anglers though some good fish continue to get caught as mentioned.  The one below was taken by Richard Chatfield and weighed 23lbs   He had five others of 17, 17, 20lbs and 22lbs 6oz in 24hours.    Hereford club waters.


============================================================================

Mention of the salmon caught from near the Whitmore Rock on the |Nyth reminds me of another memorable event there.    Salmon fish was poor at the time and I was fishing for trout and grayling with a 10foot fly rod and a couple of flies.

Fishing the stream in front of the rock I hooked a decent fish right on dusk.   The fish, a grayling, swung down below me into some slacker water when there was a big boil and everything locked up solid. S++t I thought  a pike has grabbed it.  Anyway I kept in touch for a while as it swan out into the stream and came upstream towards me.   When it got level with me just a few yards away up came an ottes head with the fish in its jaws.   It turned and saw me, spat out the fish and was never seen again.

Encountered otters many time over the years even when they were very scarce, mostly between Glasbury and Builth  saw one once sat on a rock in midstream with a big eel wrapped around its neck as it tried to eat it.   Eels where once prolific and the otters favourite meal.   Now they eat ............? everything else.!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.