Saturday 24 April 2021

 

Sorry  Same as, same as on the salmon front.


LATEST    AREPORT OF A 12LB FISH FROM THE RED LION    Details to follow

Done some sea fishing from boat and shore over the years and this was one experience which remains vivid.

Hope I have not posted it before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I  was once invited to fish out of Brighton where a friend of mine had another friend with a  charter boat.  We drove down and went out a few miles to catch –well anything really.  We caught the usual dogfish on bait and mackerel on feathers but it was pretty quiet.

Not sure why but I decided to try one of the rubber shad baits I had used in the past for pike.  About 7 inches long with a large tail and good wriggling action.  Well I dropped it over the side, touched bottom and did a bit of sink and draw.  This is where once again the Golden Balls effect came into play.   I shortly hooked a fish which didn’t really fight much and on it nearing the surface it glowed with colour from some way down.  The skippers assistant came over and asked what I had got on. “Dunno I said but its colourful   He netted it and was seemed quite impressed with its size.   “That’s a big Gurnard “he said so I took his word for it.   Dropped over the side again and soon had another take.  This was somewhat heavier and another similar orange coloured fish showed up down deep.   The Skippers assistant came across again looked down at the fish and shouted “ Christ Skipper, come and have a look at this”.   The skipper came over, let out some choice expletives and netted the fish with some care.  “Hell “he said, “That’s the biggest Gurnard I have seen in thirty years of skippering this boat. Must be close on the record.

I honestly can’t remember the weight of it but perhaps seven or eight pounds, Head like a Gargoyle and blue edged pectoral fins like dinner plates.   I took it home and set it up. Perhaps the most impressive taxidermy fish I ever did.  Sorry to have sold it years ago but wish I had kept it now.    I have a photo somewhere which I will try and dig out.

I saw this same fish up for sale a year or so ago on EBay at some crazy price.  Such is life!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.