Tuesday 8 September 2020

 Just off fishing but before I go have to say there are times when you hear something and just despair.  Yesterday lunchtime was a classic moment.    There was a discussion on the national news re the Lynfi pollution and the state of rivers in general.  There was a local club angler giving his views, a guy from the NRW and reply from minister leslie Griffiths which was less than helpful =. Then we had the WUF Director Simon Evans.  He was asked about the state of the rivers and the comment I remember most was something like "Well its not only agriculture that's to blame. There are people who wash their dogs down with a fluid to kill the fleas and then WASH IT DOWN THE SINK." End of interview.  That's real head banging stuff in my opinion.

I don't wish to comment further but if that is what we can expect as leadership from WUF then it really is all over.


LATEST    Seems there has been some action as WUF spring back into life.  Below from the WUF site;


Wyesham: Now on 105.  6 in August which was marred by hot and then coloured water. It is picking up in September as the river falls with 7 so far including a fabulously coloured 19lb cock fish for Mike Timmis and a grilse for another rod this morning. They had 3 yesterday. 


The Rectory : 12lb salmon for Alan Greene last Sunday. Caught on a red Francis tube at the top of the Rectory pool/tail of the neck of the Rectory.


The Rectory : Gary Price last Friday. Cock fish around 14/15lb from middle of the rock pool on a cone head black francis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My trip this morning to the Usk didn't go so well.  It was low, clear with bright sun overhead.  Never saw a single fish rise the whole time I was there.

Fished for trout with a small goldhead hares ear and about fourth cast a good take and a trout airborne.  I really nice conditioned fish of about 1 1/2 lbs -supper tonight.

Just then an old farmer cutting down the thistles on his tractor stopped and saw me about to net the fish.  He came down and said "is that a trout or a salmon..  Trout I replied.   "Never seen anyone catch one here before he said"    Asked if he had ever eaten one he said no so I offered it to him.   He was surprised but thanked me and said he and his wife would try it tonight.

Ok I said, I hope to catch another  - wrong assumption I'm afraid as I had nothing else apart from a small 8 incher.   It grew sunnier and warmer and nothing stirred so gave it best.  Hope someone at least enjoys his dinner tonight.!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.